Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I can't complain Day: 1 & 2

We just love it when we can tag along with Dad on a work trip. This is our 3rd time to Florida as a family and 4th time as a couple. I know this is a little window in our lives that we are able to do this, before the kids start school. I just L.O.V.E. that we can pick up and go. We decided a little over a week ago, and I had to clear my calendar of doctor appointments, lessons in church, wedding receptions, etc. Come on, twist my arm a little harder! Two weeks in Florida is totally worth it. Financially, we can pull it off because of the extra income Dave gets from travel. How can we say no??!!

It is absolutely beautiful down here in Key Largo. The temperature is a constant low 80's. We are right on the water with boat docks. It is fun to watch all the boats and yachts come in and out. But mostly it is fun to watch the wildlife! I saw a dolphin today looking outside my bedroom window! We are told there are several dolphins that come close and play daily AND a group of manatees that come up close. I can't wait to see them. There is also an alligator (yet to be seen by us) that lives nearby in the water. That worries me a little. Lots of pelicans, different kinds of seagulls.



We are ready for Florida! Though we are still wearing long sleeve and long pants in MD, we only packed shorts and short sleeve (with one token warm outfit just in case). I, myself, am wearing long beach dresses EVERYDAY. A first in my life. They seem to capture my wonderfully plump belly, while keeping me cool (remember I have to wear those stylish compression socks?). I may never go back to pants, at least until baby arrives.


The view outside our screened-in porch.


I'm sure this scene will become a regular for the next two weeks.


Decked out for the swimming pool.


I see a geek emerging...


Dave surprised us and came home 1 hour early.

No picture of me in the water, but if you can imagine a flattering maternity swim suit complimented by some black, knee-high compressions socks, that would be me. The baby was doing summersaults or something in my belly in the water. It was the strangest feeling as my belly was poking out lopsided, with a "baby bum" sticking out on one side. The water took the pressure off my pelvis and legs, probably because the baby was having fun floating up inside me.


This was our first time swimming outside this season and I was a little worried that Charlie would have regressed from the progress he made by the end of last summer. But he just jumped right in. This will be a great summer for swimming lessons, which I am excited about because it was hard enough hanging on to two kids in the water last year. With baby coming, it will make it easier to handle if Charlie can do his own thing.



Do I look chill or what? We ate our lunch outside today and met some new friends.



Whenever we stay in a hotel, Charlie always gets hooked on all the fun kid TV channels that we don't get at home. It has been a bit of a challenge to convince him that we aren't always in Florida and we need to limit the TV. But I can't be too hard on him because I also get hooked on the FoodNetwork, HGTV, and other channels I only get to watch on vacation too. :o)

5 comments:

The two old crows said...

That looks like so much fun. Great pictures.

Season said...

Boy howdy I am JEALOUS. That looks sooooo lovely. And did you cut your hair again? You look great.

matt and michelle ray said...

oh my goodness! have so much fun! it looks absolutely beautiful! love, love, love all the pictures! soak it up, mama, you deserve it!

The Mortensens said...

Shelly!

I'm jealous! Congrats on the baby, that is exciting. I haven't checked in on you guys for awhile. I love when Scott travels for work and we get to tag along.

SOOOO fun!!

Debby said...

Have a great time! It looks like vacation life agrees with the family. Can you believe that I have never been to Florida? One of these days maybe. Have fun!